The UEFA government Committee has approved the creation of a 3rd UEFA club competition for the 2021–2024 competition cycle at its meeting nowadays in the national capital.
039 – “Inclusive competition suggests that a lot of matches for more clubs and more associations” – UEFA President Aleksander Čeferin
More clubs from a lot of associations can play European soccer from 2021, once the UEFA government Committee approved the creation of a 3rd UEFA club competition for the 2021–2024 competition cycle at their meeting in the national capital.
- The new competition (which has the operating title of UEL2) can mirror the present UEFA Champions League and UEFA Galilean League, and have thirty-two groups in an exceeding cluster stage.
- The format can see eight teams of 4 groups, followed by the spherical of sixteen, quarter-finals, semi-finals and final.
- A further knockout spherical have competed before the round of sixteen between groups hierarchic second in their teams and therefore the third-ranked teams of the UEFA Galilean League groups.
- The new competition can feature 141 matches over fifteen match weeks, precisely just like the UEFA Galilean League.
- The winner of the new competition is entitled to participate within the UEFA Galilean League in the following season.
- The new competition matches have competed on Thursdays. As such, the UEFA Champions League continues to compete on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, the UEFA Galilean League and therefore the new competition are competing on a weekday with one extra kick-off time interval for a restricted range of matches in theory at 16:30CET to be further outlined.
- All club competition finals are competed within the same week: Wed (new competition), weekday (UEFA Galilean League) and Sat (UEFA Champions League).
The new third competition can make sure that a minimum of thirty-four countries is drawn within the cluster stages of the UEFA club competitions (today, the minimum bonded range is 26). All member associations can have access to the 3 club competitions and every one association will keep constant overall access quota as presently.
UEFA President Aleksander Čeferin said: “The new UEFA club competition makes UEFA’s club competitions a lot of comprehensive than ever before. there’ll be a lot of matches for more clubs, with a lot of associations drawn within the cluster stages. This competition was borne out of current dialogue with clubs through the EU Club Association.
“There was a widespread demand by all clubs to extend their possibilities of collaborating a lot of often in European competition. This has been achieved with a strategic approach and in accordance with UEFA’s objective of getting each a lot of quality and more inclusivity in our club competitions.”
The UEFA government Committee nowadays approved the competition format and therefore the access list for the new competition. AN redoubled minimum money guarantee for all clubs within the UEFA Galilean League conjointly the} new competition has also been enclosed. The careful revenue distribution and commonality systems and different details, like the competition name/brand, constant system, and business strategy are finalized throughout 2019.
Also, as a part of the 2021–2024 competition cycle, the UEFA Galilean League can currently be equally efficient with constant format, together with a further knockout spherical compete before the round of sixteen between groups hierarchic second in their teams and therefore the third-ranked teams of the UEFA Champions League groups.
No changes are created to the format and access list of the UEFA Champions League.